After a whirlwind my first 5 days in India, I begin to get settled in and realize that I have 2 master’s classes winding down! In less than a week, I would have to write two papers AND take a final exam! Okay, it may not sound like much, but given all that I’ve been doing this summer finishing those two classes well would be a challenge. It certainly doesn’t help that I’m trying to adjust to a nearly 12 hour time difference! At any rate, the guy I’m staying with has been really understanding and accommodating. As I mentioned in another blog, he’s helped me tremendously by making the transition go as smoothly as possible. Oh and I must not leave out our cook/driver/cleaning dude. He speaks very little English, but man does he clean the house meticulously every day and boy can he cook! I’ve probably gained about 4 kilos since I got here and that’s mostly because of him! If his driving were only as good as his cooking and cleaning, of course that’s easier said than done over here. I certainly am not interested in testing my driving skills on the roads here. You have to constantly honk your horn to let other drivers know where you are. There also aren’t really any rules. Then you’ve got bicycles, motorcycles, rickshaws, cars, trucks, buses and just about everything else vying for their place on the road… to include the cattle. I haven’t gotten a picture yet, but they’re everywhere. They walk around like they own the place, but then so do the dogs. The point is that driving in India stinks. It’s a weird mix of channeled aggression and patience. I will be glad to be passenger for the next 2 years or so.
Returning to the day’s events, it really ended up being pretty chill. In the evening a few friends came over for dinner and a little movie night. They brought pizza and made a few other delicious dishes. It was good to have a relatively relaxing and refreshing day.
No comments:
Post a Comment