Well, at this point I suppose there’s a pretty high probability that I’ll be repeating some words or phrases. At any rate, please forgive me if that is the case because I’m known to have a short memory. However, to the best of my knowledge, the following are phrases that I have not referenced previously.
For those of you who are new to my “English is funny” blog, please note that this is simply a compilation of terms and/or figures of speech that I find to be amusing. As always, there is no malicious intent. This is simply an effort to build a greater cultural-linguistic awareness and enjoy a few laughs in the process! Without further adieu, here we go…
“Roaming around” – this term is used extensively in the context of busyness, but could imply sinister/sketchy/questionable activities
“I was all tied up” – similar term in that it describes a person who was busy (however, it lacks the sinister qualifier that could be attached to “roaming around”)
“Get on his backside” or “you need to get on top of him” – something akin to subjecting a person to physical/mental discipline (a little hazing you might say), which may be deemed necessary because someone is out of line or they aren’t meeting their full potential
“The dopes are playing to the gallery” – a rather colorful description of a person or group of people who like to be in the limelight/draw attention to themselves
“He needs (or has) josh” – I think it means energy or it describes an appealing person, but I’m not sure… can anyone help me on this one?
“Tell yourself again and again, I will not be rigid” – a direct quote that, as you might guess, is good advice for someone who was a little tense or nervous
“It/he/she/they went for a toss” – essentially means things didn’t work out as planned
“He’s met with an accident” – that’s one thing that’s impossible to avoid in India!
“They bounced on me” – a surprise visit (I’m told this often refers to bachelors in search of a good meal!)
“They just went bonkers” – you can guess what that means… just saying “bonkers” makes me laugh!
“He’s a good chap” – or you could just say, “For he’s a jolly good fellow”
“They pressurized him” – I think this is self-explanatory!
carriage = car
boot = trunk
boot = trunk
2-wheeler or bike = motorcycle
bungalow = house
fortnight = every two weeks
carriage = car .... dunno where u picked this up..
ReplyDeleteit is possible that i picked that one up in the UK... i just can't really confirm or deny it...
ReplyDeleteThank you for the fortnight definition. I was just quoting, "So I Married An Axe Murderer," the other night and said it, but I didn't know the actual definition. Thank you for enlightening me. Alan
ReplyDeletejosh is the zeal and enthusiasm to do something.....
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure Alan... the only reason I know is because we have work that has to be turned in every fortnight!
ReplyDeleteHappy, thanks for enlightening me on the meaning of josh. For everyone else who doesn't know, it's a Hindi word that is pronounced something like JOESHH in contrast to the name Josh.