It seems appropriate to make a blog entry on the day that I celebrate my one-year anniversary in India, as it has been a time of reflection on the past coupled with hope for the future.
The past year has absolutely flown by, literally and metaphorically. It has been challenging and frustrating year for a number of reasons, yet it's also been an incredibly wonderful, exciting adventure. As I look back on the relatively short time I've spent in this colorful and diverse place, it feels a little bit like a dream with me waking up every morning asking myself, "Am I really living in India?" More recently, the question has become, "Have I really lived in India for this long?" The answer to both questions, of course, is an emphatic YES!
I spent my first few weeks in India trying to get over the jetlag, oh and also doing paperwork to get a cell phone and bank account set up among other things. My transition to India was greatly helped by the efforts of my predecessor. He really went the extra mile to help me settle in smoothly and has become a good friend through it all. During my first few weeks in country, I was also busy doing schoolwork--that hasn't changed, but Lord willing I will finish my graduate degree this December (the next four months will be painful, but how wonderful it will be to have that degree behind me!).
A little over a month after my arrival, I left Hyderabad for Chennai to began my training. Despite the grueling 6 weeks of ground training followed by 3 months of flying, I was able to enjoy myself a bit. Studying took up most of my time, but I still found time to develop relationships with my course mates, other expats, and the family of an old roommate. My five months in Chennai could be described as a whirlwind of fun and adventure.
I am so thankful for the many wonderful people whom God brought into my life while I was there. I have many fond memories of them, which bring much joy and hope to my heart. As you might imagine, while traveling around India has been fun, the people whom I've met here have far and away been the highlight. Some have become like family--a father, mother, brother, or sister to me. I continue to be humbled by the hospitality and concern that they have shown for me. God has used so many people to meet my needs for friendship and social interaction.
With the passing of my grandfather last November, I was reminded of the shortness of our lives on this earth. We truly are like a vapor that is here today and gone tomorrow, and after one year in India, there is not much that I take for granted anymore. My family, health, finances, job, and faith are just a few of the things that I continually count as blessings. When you see and meet so many people with nearly innumerable needs (material, emotional, physical, spiritual, and otherwise), you cannot deny that we live in a broken world. The world is crying for justice and renewal. I am thankful that the God, who creates and sustains us, also promises to restore life to the way it ought to be. All the suffering and pain, the disappointments and heartaches, will one day be erased and only then we can know the fullness of life that we were intended to enjoy.
I came to India a year ago to escape the materialism and narcissism that was evident everywhere I looked... especially in the mirror. I thought India would be an escape, but instead it has reinforced a longing and hope for a future spiritual renewal. It's clear to me now more than ever, that the world is a dark place because of the darkness of our hearts and yet the image of God is undeniably imprinted on each one of us. Therefore, I look forward to the time when God will make all things new again and we will finally enjoy true fellowship with Him and with one another. Until that time it is my prayer that as people created in the image of God, we might learn and seek to reflect His glory more fully. It is also my hope that the remainder of my time in India will be richly rewarding (in an eternal sense) not just for me, but also for all of the people whom I've been blessed to share this experience with... May the Lord bless you and keep you!
Well written bro! I'm so proud of you and thankful for your life! Keep up the amazing work! I love you!
ReplyDeleteThats a great effort Luke.. Good Job Done...
ReplyDeleteExcellent, Luke! I can't believe you've been there for a year! There is no doubt in my mind that God has used and is using you in his process of restoration of His people. I'm proud of you and thankful for all that you are and do in my life and the lives of others. Love you.
ReplyDeleteWow. Has it been a year already?
ReplyDeleteYeah, it's been a year Brooke... it sounds like you haven't missed me?
ReplyDelete