Adventures in India...

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave - Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, March 9, 2012

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…


The later part of this opening line from “A Tale of Two Cities” by Charles Dickens pretty much describes the last two weeks of my life. It has been an incredibly challenging few weeks for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the news that my mother has cancer. She has already had surgery, but we’re still waiting on a pathology report before the doctor can offer a prognosis. How in the world does one handle this kind of situation when living on the other side of the world?
Well, communication has certainly been very difficult at times, but the separation is softened by the fact that we are able to use video chat. In fact, I was able to “sit” in the waiting room with the rest of my family before my mom’s surgery. Then, as she made her way to the recovery room, my sister had her computer ready so that I could join with them in celebrating the completion of her surgery. Both my sisters and an aunt were with my mom and dad, offering their support and encouragement. Little did they know how blessed I was to see how God elevated them all above momentary affliction because I shared in their laughter and joy in that hospital room.
The last two weeks my life has for the most part revolved around phone calls and video chat, as I try to keep a close eye on my mom’s recovery. As a result, there have been a number of late nights and early mornings because the time difference is 12.5 hours! Couple sleep deprivation with a little anxiety and I feel as if I’ve been living in a something of a haze. However, in the midst of all these trials, I’ve come to realize how much our lives are truly like a vapor that is here today and gone tomorrow. God allows us only so much time on this earth.
Thankfully, I’ve been blessed by the myriad of friends who have expressed their care and concern for my family and me. People all over the world are praying for my mom and our family. It is humbling to think that our friends love us enough to intercede and pray on our behalf. However, it’s been even more comforting to experience God’s providential love that is shown by the way He draws near to us in our need.
The creator of the universe holds us in the palm of His hand, reminding us that He cares for even the little hairs on our heads (few as they may be in my case!). As I read 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 today in the midst of trying circumstances my faith was renewed:
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
Other passages like Isaiah 43, Psalm 34, and 2 Corinthians 1 provide comfort and assurance of God’s plans and purposes. Of course, there are many other passages as well and not surprisingly, a great number of songs too. I know that “Jesus never fails,” even as I find myself “leaning, leaning… leaning on the Everlasting Arms,” and being reminded that God is “our shelter from a stormy blast and our eternal home.” While my physical separation from my parent’s stings right now, it does not hold a candle to the spiritual unity we share in Christ. For now, we await the results of the pathology test and look forward to being reunited… Until then all I can say is…
Jesus! I am resting, resting
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.

5 comments:

  1. Well said, my friend. So sorry you and your family are facing this situation, but be assured of my prayers.

    ~Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Will keep your family in prayer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how tough it can be when you are far from home during a family medical crisis. I will pray for you and your family to rest in Him during these trying times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luke, I am praying for your mother. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete